Sunday, December 27, 2009

critters

magpies, hawks, eagles, bison, horses, yule deer, antelope, snow bunnies... I saw all of these animals today. If I were to see all of these animals every day I would be a different person. My life would, in some way, be informed by their presence. There lives would provide metaphor for my own. I would be able to truely see myself as part of a community of beings that I c0-exist with. As humans, we often only experience each other and our domestic pets. More and more we often only spend time with our peer groups instead of children and people significantly older or younger than us. People used to live more closely as families. They used to live closely with animals. They used to live closely with nature. These broader communities are essential for providing context and meaning in our lives.

***

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.” - Chief Seattle


No comments:

Post a Comment